Daily Wisdom

October 14, 2006

God Bless the Poles


Polish Army Lt. Col Andrzej Kujawa, Commander, Civilian Military Cooperation Unit, Camp Echo, shakes hands with Iraqi doctors following a site survey at a medical clinic in Ghammas. The Polish CIMIC funds, contracts, and inspects projects. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Dawn M. Price)


As an American of Polish ancestry, I am forced to admit that I feel a certain pride when occasionally reminded of the contribution Poland has been making to the War on Terror, and in particular to the War in Iraq. I felt that way again when I saw the picture above. Photo and caption courtesy of the Multi-National Force web site HERE.

Actually, it's a bit difficult to explain. What these images evoke in me, I guess, is a feeling of brotherhood... of solidarity. In a sense, I am reminded that I am an American only by the grace of God. If my grandparents had decided not to emigrate to America back in the early 1900s, I would have most likely been born in Poland. And if I was Polish rather than American... it's good to know somehow that my country would be allied with America in this struggle against terror and Islamofascism. It's comforting to believe that if I was Polish rather than American... that at least I would be a close friend of America.

And, somewhat 'Off-Topic', it's also comforting to know that Poland became a Christian nation before the year 970 AD. That's more than 500 years before America was discovered. That's more than 600 years before the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock.

Between 1300 and 1700 AD, the Poles defeated Mulsim invaders several times and almost single-handedly saved Europe from being overrun. They defeated the Tartars (or Tatars) and the Turks. For an interesting commentary on these battles, you can click HERE.

I guess it's in my blood. The Poles have been Christians for a 1000 years, and we've been fighting against the jihadis for 700 years. Is it any wonder that I can't understand why some want to appease the "true infidels"?

8 Comments:

At 10/14/2006 9:54 PM , Blogger Barb said...

Yes indeed, you are my favorite fiend ,too, Hawkeye.
When one thinks of the hardships our ancestors endured ,just to come to the United States,it does make one proud.
And when we see other nationalities helping to win the WoT there is a very warm feeling of friendship. I don't know how popular the WoT is in Poland ,but I know the Brits take a lot of bad press and propaganda ,just as our US Troops do.
It isn't as if they are just piling on to a popular cause,these wonderful Allies are going against the grain ,because they know it's right. so yes absolutely, "God Bless the Poles".

 
At 10/14/2006 11:12 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Maggie & Barb,
Having wonderful fiends like you brings a tear to my eye...

(:D) Regards...

 
At 10/15/2006 9:53 AM , Blogger Beerme said...

Been proud of Poland since Lech Walesa. I even married a Pole. My wife's Grandma couldn't speak English to the day she died at 91. Didn't need to, in Hamtramk, MI.

I'm gonna ask my wife to make some homemade-pierogis, cause she's my best fiend!

 
At 10/15/2006 1:08 PM , Blogger MargeinMI said...

Solidarity indeed! I guess it may take a history of being oppressed to appreciate the beauty of freedom. (Check your emails and read the article I forwarded written by a Romanian.)

I too, am happy and proud to have such fiends as you all. ;o)

 
At 10/15/2006 1:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having been Mrs. Hawkeye for more than a few years now, I'd like to add that Hawkeye is indeed my favorite Pole fiend. Or should I say my favorite fiend Pole?

 
At 10/16/2006 6:52 AM , Blogger camojack said...

FWIW, my (blonde, blue-eyed) girl is 100% Polish.

 
At 10/17/2006 10:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has been a while since I enjoyed a post and comments so much. They were all great and hilarious. Thanks fiends!

 
At 10/17/2006 11:12 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Thank you all for your fiendish comments... especially you, Mrs. Hawkeye!

(:D) Regards all...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home