Daily Wisdom

August 19, 2006

Looney Liberal of the Week: Anna Diggs Taylor


DETROIT, MI -- This week's award goes to U.S. District Court Judge Anna Diggs Taylor of the Eastern District of Michigan, for her ruling on Thursday that the NSA Terrorist Surveillance Program ("TSP") is unconstitutional. Seeing as how she has few details on the program, she has been forced to render her opinion on the basis of hearsay, assumption, and political ideology. Her ruling is short on brilliance and long on ranting. The following quote is from an editorial in the Washington Post on Friday, which you can read in its entirety HERE...

[T]he decision yesterday by a federal district court in Detroit, striking down the NSA's program, is neither careful nor scholarly, and it is hard-hitting only in the sense that a bludgeon is hard-hitting. The angry rhetoric of U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor will no doubt grab headlines. But as a piece of judicial work -- that is, as a guide to what the law requires and how it either restrains or permits the NSA's program -- her opinion will not be helpful...

Judge Taylor said the TSP, which was created after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, is unconstitutional because it violates the separation of powers doctrine, as well as the First and Fourth Amendments of the U.S. Constitution. Taylor is apparently not a constitutional scholar, as she seems to have forgotten that the President is the Commander-In-Chief ("C-I-C"), and during a time of war has exceptionally broad powers to "provide for the common defence". Specifically, the C-I-C has full authority to gather intelligence concerning foreign powers which threaten our "domestic tranquility". As C-I-C, the President directs the military, the members of which take the following oath...

I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic

The President then (as C-I-C), directs all military efforts to "defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic". The NSA TSP is a military program directed at "enemies" which may be either foreign or domestic. For more info on Presidential Authority to conduct warrantless foreign intelligence surveillance, click HERE.

Taylor claims that the First Amendment is violated by the program, because it hampers journalists, scholars, lawyers and others trying to speak to sources overseas. That is simply nonsensical. The NSA program in no way hampers anyone in the United States from speaking to people overseas who are involved in discussing legitimate business or family matters. If it hampers any communication at all, it hampers only "illegitimate" or "questionable" communication, and in my opinion, that's a good thing.

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Robert Jackson was the first to use the phrase "The Constitution is not a suicide pact" in 1949. Never more did such words apply to a legal case than to this one. According to Anna Diggs Taylor, it is more important to preserve the rights of terrorists and those who would communicate with them "unhampered", than to prevent the needless deaths of thousands of innocent American civilians. Presumably, in her opinion, the Constitution IS "a suicide pact". In her view, we must be prepared to commit suicide in order to protect the rights of foreign terrorists and their agents in this country above those of average American citizens. Either that, or she's just another partisan hack trying to use her influence to attack the Administration from the bench. Idiot!

Judge Anna Dodo-Taylor ought to go back to school for a refresher course in Constitutional Law.

20 Comments:

At 8/19/2006 3:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I looked up this lib's bio, it said in 1984 she ruled against having a Nativity Scene on public land.

Truly a lib ahead of her time!

Are those eyebrows real or tattoo's?

Alan Colmes has one that looks like one of her's/it's, but it usually "comes back down" after he stops lying-----which isn't very often! lol

 
At 8/19/2006 3:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off topic, but I heard Mark Levin admit last night that he uses Heinz ketchup. He said he can't help it, he just likes it!

Now my confession------me too!

I use Hunt's, and Red Gold, (I think it is midwest regional), but Heinz is my fav.

Maybe I will use the picture of Teresa, you had on your blog, over the label.

Bet that would change things real quick!

That or I may lose some weight, (or my lunch).

 
At 8/19/2006 3:49 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

RAM,
Now that you mention it, Taylor does look like Alan Colmes, doesn't she?

I have no particularly favorite brand of ketchup. I'll use whatever brand comes in those little packets we get at McDonald's, Burger King, etc. (:D)

Yikes! Theraazzzaaa's picture on the bottle? ...umm, that would definitely make me lose my lunch!

Best regards...

 
At 8/19/2006 3:59 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

OLA,
She only went for the eyebrows, because she couldn't afford the rest of the clown makeup.

Good points! These lib nut-jobs say that President Bush isn't a king, and that he has to subject himself to FISA, a congressionally established organization. But what makes the Congress or the Judiciary superior to the Executive when we are talking about "co-equal" branches of government??!! Are they all idiots, or what??

Regards...

 
At 8/19/2006 4:07 PM , Blogger Beerme said...

The very fact that Ms. Diggs-Taylor brings up the argument about separation of powers, indicates that she is using the wrong criteria to measure the constitutionality of the issue. Does it or does it not violate the constitution?

One word of caution, though: keep in mind that the powers we feel comfortable about in the hands of President Bush, might be pretty scary in the hands of Hillary Clinton...

 
At 8/19/2006 4:14 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Beerme,
I guess in Taylor's mind there is no such thing as "co-equal" branches of government. To her, the Judiciary and the Congress trump the Executive every time.

As far as Hillary being President, I am more worried that she might gut the NSA Terrorist Surveillance Program or cut its funding, than use it to spy on me.

Regards...

 
At 8/19/2006 8:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband calls her Ann Diggs Terror. Sounds about right.

 
At 8/19/2006 11:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OLA: Have you seen Mara Liasson, (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,2124,00.html), open her eyes real wide, when she is spouting her NPR nonsense?

One of these days she will tell such a big lie that her eyeballs will finally drop out of her head!

If you listen close when they say her name, you can ALMOST hear it as, Moron Liar-son!

I think her and Juan Williams, "Have a thing---goin' on", as the old 60's song says.

 
At 8/19/2006 11:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also saw on Judge Diggs Taylor's bio, she has a "bachelor’s" degree!

WOW, I knew she was butt ugly, but would have NEVER guessed she was actually an unmarried male!

 
At 8/20/2006 7:33 AM , Blogger MargeinMI said...

Ah, another Moonbat from Michigan. We're so proud.

NOT!

 
At 8/20/2006 11:35 AM , Blogger Robert said...

Okay, the possum finally speaks out!

I should not say this, but that woman is not only ugly, she's stupid!

Nastiness aside, her ruling caught my attention when it happened. I apologize for slagging you on your looks, Judge. It's a guy thing; I'd scream and throw you out of bed before caving to my carnal desires.

You have opened a door to the terrorists, and closed one to the American government. I don't fear for my civil liberties nearly as much as I watch the progression of your accomodation rulings.

 
At 8/20/2006 11:49 AM , Blogger Robert said...

My home nurse, who does my shopping, has one strict instruction: "No Heinz!"

I also have a "Boycott France" bumpersticker plastered to my fridge, but the Frogs are hard to dodge. I do my little bit for political advocacy: no condiment bearing the label "Heinz" is purchased or crosses into The Possum Den.

 
At 8/20/2006 5:23 PM , Blogger camojack said...

More judicial tyranny...

 
At 8/20/2006 8:57 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Amy,
Good one! Tell Johnny he's got a great sense of humor. BTW, I listened to some of the audio files at your site. Very Cool! It's nice to put voices with the faces. You sound a little different than I had imagined, but not too much. And I thought Johnny's church message was outstanding! What a great speaker.

Regards...

 
At 8/20/2006 9:01 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

RAM,
"Moron Liar-son"...? Her eyes falling out of her head...? Her and Juan Williams gettin' it on...? WOW! Talk about an imagination. Keep up the good work and bring us lots more good whoppers!

 
At 8/20/2006 9:06 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Marge,
Well, I guess everybody's got to be from somewhere. Here in NJ we've got people to be proud of too, like Jon Corzine, and Frank Lautenberg, and Bob Menendez, and Bob Toricelli, and Jim McGreevey, and Jim Florio... I could go on, but I think I'm going to be sick.

 
At 8/20/2006 9:12 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Possum,
Don't hold back now, tell us what you REALLY think. (heh, heh) Seriously, it's great to have you share some of your pearls with us. (Love the part about throwing her out of bed... BWAHAHAHA!)

Oh, and BTW, I normally don't pay too much attention to the ketchup, but I checked the fridge and found out we're using Hunt's. (Whew! I feel better now.)

Best regards (:D)

 
At 8/20/2006 9:13 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Camo,
Same "stuff", different judge.

 
At 8/21/2006 9:43 AM , Blogger camojack said...

Pretty much, yeah.

 
At 8/21/2006 6:33 PM , Blogger radar said...

Marvin Gaye will NEVER sound the same now....

Yeah, what is it with the Colmesbrows? Shouldn't Gores look like triangles by now?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home