Daily Wisdom

August 30, 2005

Back From Utah

DOWNTOWN, NJ -- Just got in last night from our trip to Utah. Had a good time. The weather was warm (90°F+ every day) but the humidity was low (unlike here in NJ... yuck!). When the pictures get developed I hope to share a few.

We visited Park City -- home of the 2002 Winter Olympics. It was at least 10°F cooler in the mountains than in Salt Lake Valley. Everything was lush and green (again unlike the valley). Lots of artsy type galleries and eateries. Very pleasant and picturesque.

We checked out the weekly Farmer's Market in Pioneer Park. Lots of organic fruits and vegetables, arts and crafts, some fun stuff for the kids, some hippie left-overs from the sixties, a booth for the Utah Green Party... you know what I mean, a decidedly Haight-Ashbury feel (minus the drugs).

While I do not share their beliefs, the Mormons were extremely gracious and very helpful. The wedding was held in "The Lion House" (so-named for the statue of a lion reclining over the front door). It is the former home of Brigham Young. The bride is a great-great-great grand daughter of Brigham Young himself (not sure exactly how many "greats"). Of course pictures were taken in the gardens surrounding the Temple. The Tabernacle (the round building where the choir sings) was closed for repairs -- it's being earthquake-proofed and re-roofed.

The father of the groom arranged for a cocktail party after the official reception (for the non-Mormons of course). It was the first cocktail party some of the Mormons had ever attended, and they of course restricted themselves to sparkling cider and soft drinks. Just glad they didn't treat us like infidel dogs.

I think everyone was impressed that seven of the groom's former high school buddies (all still single at age 23) flew in from all over the country to be there. One was proudly wearing a naval uniform.

Got there safe. Had good weather. Had fun. Got home safe. All the major ingredients required for a good trip. And I enjoyed reading your comments on my last three postings... Thanks. It's great to have friends like "youse guys".

16 Comments:

At 8/30/2005 4:36 PM , Blogger camojack said...

Did they do any proselytizing during the wedding? I went to a Mormon baptism once, and several personal testimonies were delivered during that, for the Book of Mormon and their whole schtick...

 
At 8/30/2005 4:59 PM , Blogger MargeinMI said...

Glad you had a fun and safe trip Hawkeye! Welcome back. Been trying to keep your blog rollin' while you were gone.

 
At 8/30/2005 5:05 PM , Blogger MargeinMI said...

Your comment about the Mormons at their first cocktail party reminded me......

At WalMart shopping during our camping trip, the electronic scanner was acting up on my friend's credit card. We've all been there...you know how the computerization of everything makes our lives easier and faster, except when it's NOT WORKING!!!!! There was a young Amish woman in line right behind us. She was the epitomy of patience and decorum, (decked out in her plain blue dress, bonnet and black stockings--90 degree heat--poor thing) for about the first 15 minutes. Eventually, she went to another line. I couldn't help but wonder what thoughts were running through her head while she stood there so stoically. Like:

"THIS is why I'm Amish!" and

"Freaking English!" and

"What the heck am I doing in Wal-Mart anyway??????"

 
At 8/30/2005 5:38 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Camo,
Nope... no proselytizing. It was very subdued, very short, and very dignified. Quite surprising actually.

 
At 8/30/2005 5:42 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Marge,
Thanks Marge, I appreciate all the GREAT comments you made during my absence. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts! I'm glad to be back.

Best wishes,
Hawkeye®

 
At 8/30/2005 5:54 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Marge,
Funny story about the Amish woman... I had the same thoughts about what some of the Mormons might be thinking of us....

("Who ARE these people anyway? Why did they fly out here from all over the country for a wedding? I don't think I'd fly to New Jersey for a neighbor's wedding. They seem like nice people... but they drink alcohol. Too bad they're doomed....")

 
At 8/31/2005 7:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What?!! No bridal dance? Ain't no wedding without that tradition...

 
At 8/31/2005 12:34 PM , Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

Speaking of the Amish, My parents visit EVERY Amish syore they find in the midwest. They buy the handmade furniture and organic foods. I joked about them converting and my Dad said the horse and buggy were on order!

 
At 8/31/2005 12:35 PM , Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

syore is Amish for market. Preview is my freind.......

 
At 8/31/2005 6:33 PM , Blogger MargeinMI said...

Hawkeye, No problem! Just doin' my part to keep you bloggers going!

With the price of gasoline (and all the hay made this summer due to the hot weather), I'm considering one of those Amish buggies. Question: If you get profiled by the police, is there some sort of official Amish I.D. to show?

 
At 8/31/2005 7:10 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

onlineanalyst,
No bridal dance... in fact, no dancing at all! That's OK I guess, I'm no Fred Astaire.

 
At 8/31/2005 7:15 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Libby Gone™,
My wife usually goes to the "syore". She doesn't let me go because I don't keep track of the coupons or check to see what's on sale before I go. That's OK. I don't let her go near my Weapon of Grass Destruction.

 
At 8/31/2005 7:20 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Kajun,
Yes, this was the groom's first marriage. No other wives that I know about. But he's got time yet... he's young.

P.S.-- Thanks for the prayers! They're always welcome.

 
At 8/31/2005 9:32 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Kajun,
Praise God, it seems like you survived Katrina allright. I guess MY prayers were answered.

 
At 9/01/2005 8:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hawkeye

Glad you had a wonderful time and that you are home safe.(Read this blog yesterday but failed to comment then.)

 
At 9/01/2005 10:37 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Maggie,
Better late than never! Always happy to have you... even if you don't comment.

(But it's more fun when you do comment!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home