Daily Wisdom

April 10, 2005

The Pope -- My Kin

As an American of Polish descent, I feel a certain kinship towards Pope John Paul II. Although I can no longer consider myself a Roman Catholic, I was still moved by the man and his deep spiritual commitment. I mean.... you could feel it. When you saw him on TV, you knew he was not bluffing. He really lived his spirituality. If for no other reason, you had to admire the man for that alone.

The fact that he made ground-breaking gestures of reconciliation towards Jews and Muslims only heightens his stature. The fact that he endured occupations under both the Nazis and the Russians only legitimizes his role as a man of suffering. The fact that he helped end Communist rule in Poland (and by extrapolation all of Eastern Europe), only strengthens his status as a liberator. He was a good man. He was, dare I say it, a great man.

Long live Pope John Paul II.

5 Comments:

At 4/10/2005 8:00 PM , Blogger camojack said...

Dude! I started a blog, too, but haven't told the Scrapple crew; I haven't posted much on it. I have been putting the URL in the appropriate place when posting a comment on ScrappleFace, though...

 
At 4/10/2005 8:07 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Good to hear from you camo! Come back real soon now, 'ya hear?

 
At 4/10/2005 8:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job, Hawkeye! I always enjoy your posts at Scrappleface, too.
As a Catholic of 3/4 Polish-American heritage, I share your sense of the loss in the passing of the remarkable John Paul II. Krakow and the nearby village where he grew up are beautiful places.

 
At 4/10/2005 8:39 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Thanks 'online'. My grandparents (on my father's side anyway) came from the Bialystok region of Poland. I hear it's nice there too. Maybe someday I'll visit.

 
At 4/11/2005 8:07 AM , Blogger MargeinMI said...

Hey hawkeye! Good luck on your blog!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home